Jobs at Whittaker Mountaineering
Now Hiring Spring/Summer 2024 Seasonal Staff!
Interested in working at Whittaker Mountaineering? Below are the available jobs listed. We look forward to hearing from you!
Please send your resume to Ben@whittakermountaineering.com
Job Type: Outdoor Equipment Associate
Whittaker Mountaineering | Ashford, WA
Job Type: Summer Seasonal Hourly Wage: $17.00-$22.00 DOE
Date Range: March to End of September of 2024
Whittaker Mountaineering (WM) is a specialty outdoor retail and rental store located six miles outside of Mt. Rainier National Park in Washington State (MRNP). WM is the recommended outfitter for RMI Expeditions (RMI), www.rmiguides.com, one of North America’s largest Mountain Guide Service. WM and RMI are located at Rainier BaseCamp along with several other businesses serving the needs of hikers, climbers, and Park visitors. We are seeking a Sales Associate that is organized, customer service oriented, has strong communication skills, and a passion for the outdoors. Sales Associates are responsible for ensuring our customers have a positive and seamless experience when shopping or renting with us.
- Outfitting customers with outdoor gear and apparel
- Creating a comfortable and welcoming atmosphere for all customers and getting RMI climbers excited for their climb
- Educating customers on performance and technical aspects of mountaineering and outdoor equipment
- Maintaining an orderly appearance throughout sales floor, rental shop, and BaseCamp grounds
- Answering phones, responding to voice messages and email inquires
Executing various specific projects and tasks in both the rental and retail departments including but not limited to:
- Operating Shopify Point of Sales system and online data base
- Counting, Receiving, Labeling, and Stocking new gear as it arrives to the store
- Sharing information and status updates on local trails and conditions inside and outside the MRNP
- Providing excellent customer service that may lead to increased sales
- Preparing rental reservations and meal packages for pickup and international shipment
- Maintaining, cleaning, and repairing rental equipment as needed
- Maintaining a clean and organized rental shop at all times
- Outfitting clients with the proper gear needed for each specific climb
- Processing gear returns
- Assisting with visual merchandising
- Operating EasyRent Rental Point of Sale System
- Assisting with other daily operations and various needs as needed
Desired Skills and Experience
- Interest/experience in hiking, backpacking, mountaineering, climbing, snow/outdoor sports
- Ability to work well as part of a small team
- Experience with Shopify Online and Point-Of-Sale System Preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office – Primarily Outlook, Excel and Word
- Detail oriented, ability to problem solve and think critically
- Capable of being a self-starter
- Strong communication/listening skills
- Highly developed sense of integrity and passion for excellence
- 1-2 years of customer service experience (preferably in an outdoor industry retail environment) considered a plus
- Must be able to lift approx. 40lbs
Mountaineering Snow School with RMI Expeditions
Opportunity to climb Mt. Rainier with RMI (during climbing season May-September)
Use of outdoor gear from the Rental Shop at no charge
30% Off In-store purchases (does not apply to used or sale items)
20 % Off Rainier BaseCamp Bar and Grill and Whittaker’s Bunkhouse Café
Low-cost and on-site employee housing (Approximately $200/month including utilities)
My MH Phantom Parka -Tier 2 arrived and aside from there being a #16 written in you would have never known guessed this was a rental jacket. You can tell Whittaker takes care their gear and rates it more than fairly for resale. Definitely the place to go for mountain tested and approved gear at a bargain.
Bought the tier 2 used large kangri pants and the size fit as advertised with enough room for my wool base layer and soft-shell pants underneath. If you need a pair of pants that are going to keep you dry all day and keep the wind out, then these are the pants for you. The full-length side zipper is excellent when you need to get the pants on but are on a steep slope or otherwise unable to take off your crampons or snowshoes.
I've worn these for years, finally had to get a new pair one size up cuz... middle age. They are sturdy, and they have the full leg zip feature you really need for putting on over crampons or large boots, and for venting when it warms up. With the discount on used gear, these are a great price and when I received them, you can barely tell they are used.
Jacket is in great condition-- practically new. The down lofts nicely and you can tell the jacket was well cared for. Shipping was quick and the price better than anything you could get on eBay or gear trade.
I had rented a pair of these pants previously, so I knew I liked the size and model. They are great gore-tex, full-zip pants. Definitely not breathable - which is the point! They keep out ALL the moisture. The used rental pants I purchased showed up in great condition and have lots of life left in them!
I bought the Kangri pants because I needed a lower hard shell layer, and I was immediately impressed by the quality. The tier 3 product arrived clean, and only minimally worn. There were no tears, or defects. It looked as though they may have been worn two or three times. What I received was a product that was ready to go in all respects. Now, on to the fit. I ordered in Men's large and they fit me perfectly! The Pants are equivalent in quality to my best hardshell,
Love their system for used gear - although this was Tier 3, you really can't tell it had gone through much use.
I also took a chance ordering this with respect to sizing (ordered Large)... I'm a man, size 32/30, and these fit me perfectly.
Haven't taken these out on the mountain yet, but they feel great and I'm looking forward to it!
I was very pleased with the Tier-2 condition and appearance. It looks new. I appreciate the design of the chest pockets and the decision to eliminate the waist pockets for simplicity. Waist pockets are only accessible if you remove your pack, and chest pockets are easily accessible wearing a pack. My use is winter hiking, snowshoeing, and climbing.
Better than expected. no signs of previous use. great deal!