Mountain Hardwear South Col™ 70 OutDry Backpack USED Tier 3
TIER 3: LOVED
This is a TIER 3 USED item, meaning it has been pretty well loved and seen at least a season’s worth of use (at least 10 climbs on Rainier). This means it could have moderate use: stains, scuffing, pulling, discoloration, very minor rips and tears, dirt, etc. NO: broken zippers, buckles, straps, or mesh.
All items that were once part of our rental fleet will be numbered with black sharpie on the inside, regardless of condition. If you have further questions, feel free to check our Gear Cache page, or contact us! Also, keep in mind our return policy is different for Used gear!
The one-pack solution for mountaineering expeditions on the world's highest peaks. The flexible design and highly evolved compression system lets you add and remove components as well as shrink and expand the pack as needed. OutDry construction bonds a durable waterproof membrane to the main compartment so that your gear stays safe and dry in even the wettest conditions.
S/M: 16.0 in. - 19.0 in. / 41 cm - 48 cm
M/L: 18.5 in. - 22.0 in. / 47 cm - 56 cm
Your correct backpack size is found by measuring your torso from the seventh vertebra (the big bump where the shoulder slope meets the neck) down the spine to the point in the small of your back which is horizontally level with the top of your hip bones (iliac crest). To find the iliac crest, use your fingers to trace the hip bone upwards until you can feel the point where the top edge of your hip bones curve inwards, on the side of your hip, creating something of a shelf. Holding your finger on the seventh vertebra, measure down your back to the point in the small of your back level with your iliac crest. The measurement is most easily obtained using a string or a cloth tape and help from a friend. This is your torso length, and using it, you can now select the correct frame size.
- OutDry membrane construction main compartment keeps your gear safe and dry
- Flexible design concept allows removing or adding pack components for optimal versatility
- HardWave suspension conforms comfortably to the curve of your back and distributes weight evenly but is removable for carrying light loads
- Multiple lash points and long compression webbing allow for overloads while effectively reducing volume as needed to keep any size load stable
- Large zippered front pocket allows storage of frequently needed items or tools and maintains volume even when main compartment is full
- Easy access crampon stash pocket
- Intuitive, easy to secure and adjust ice-ax / ice tool carry system with pass through sleeve to conceal picks
- Super-strong X-Ply Ripstop front panel offers extreme abrasion resistance and tear strength at an incredibly light weight
- Great load transfer through an aluminum perimeter stay that locks into hipbelt while allowing slight pivoting
- Dual-density shoulder straps carry in comfort
- Removable padded waist belt, with gear loops, adds stability
- Swap the padded waist belt for a webbing belt (included) when carrying lighter loads
- Removable top pocket with zippered security pocket inside for valuables
- Reinforced grab handle ensures safe hauling when needed
- Deep wand or picket pockets with hook and loop closure
- Body: 400D HD Nylon
- Accent: HardWear™ X-Ply Ripstop
- Bottom: 840D HT Ballistic Nylon
S/M - 4270cu in / 70L
M/L - 4575cu in / 75L
S/M - 3lb 15oz / 1.77kg
M/L - 4lb 2oz / 1.86kg
South Col™ 70 OutDry Backpack USED Tier 3